Sunday, April 11, 2010

FIRST PORT O' CALL.

Thursday night found me dining at the Fish And Chip Shop on Killingsworth in North Portland. As I walked in I immediately smelled the animal fat grease. Manchester United was playing football on the tele. I knew that this place was all I was hoping it would be.

The Fish And Chips Shop is at 1218 N. Killingsworth, right at the intersection of I-5 and Killingsworth. Parking is a little scattered, so a small walk might be in order. The menu, history, and a monthly coupon is all available at their website http://www.thefishandchipshop.com/ .The layout has the NoPo Cafe type feel to it, but the decor shouts out British Empire with gaps filled in by colored renditions of the shop's mascot. Tables are simple with the usual accouterments. I was pleased to find vinegar on the tables. I also noted that many of the condiments were European brands as well. As I settled into a table, I really felt like I should have gone through customs to get here. The menu is simple, straight forward, and is very British. There is a lot of British common meals here. They carry a variety of European sodas as well. Any displaced Brit longing for home could find some comfort here. I ordered batters, cod and chips, and an Irn-Bru upon recommendation from my waitress, Heather. She hails from Boston, but has spent significant time in Scotland, giving even more credibility to the feel of this place. (So you don't have to Google it, Irn-Bru is a Scottish brand of orange-soda, and wonderful!)

Finally the moment had arrived. Dinner was served. And it did not fall short of raised expectations. The fish was so good! Tender, flaky and light. I immediately regretted my lunch because I knew I would not have the room to finish the large two pieces that occupied my plate. The chips were thick and heavy in the British tradition. They were also very good. The animal fat gives them a different taste then the vegetable fat most fast food places use for fries.

After all is said and done, it is an Admiral's meal in the range of a single Fin. Run, don't walk to the Fish And Chips Shop, make sure you order gribblings, get the cod, tell Heather I'll be back again soon, and Bob's your Uncle!

Did you know that in England, fish and chips establishments are called Chippys or Chippers? Now you know.



NEXT STOP: Rose & Thistle, 4/22/2010

No comments:

Post a Comment